Camp Discovery thrives on volunteer and community involvement! Volunteers play a vital role in our success, contributing time, skills and energy every day. Join in, meet new people, learn new skills and help Camp Discovery keep growing. No prior experience is necessary, and anyone 16 years or older with a love for children, nature or just wishing to make a difference in our community is encouraged to submit an application in one of the following areas:
Programs – If you like working with children, have an outgoing positive attitude, and enjoy learning and being outdoors, this is for you! Program volunteers assist with school and summer programs or in preparing program activities. Volunteers may guide a hike, oversee an activity, assist with activity set up, or be an extra set of eyes, ears and hands to ensure that programs run smoothly. * Volunteers working with children will require an $8 background check.
Land Steward - 116 acres is a lot to maintain! Our land stewards assist with work days or projects and work individually or as part of a group (schools, scouts, companies). We have to keep trails and streams clean and safe, our green spaces mowed, trees cut and so much more! This is the perfect area for those that want to use their hands and see the results of their efforts firsthand! Special needs: the ability to use a chain saw and/or drive a tractor.
Camp Steward - Camp Discovery has a very small staff and most of our time is spent on programs. Keeping our inside spaces clean and welcoming is important to our work! Help us keep Camp Discovery beautiful for all who visit by assisting with light cleaning in the main areas, including sweeping, mopping, wiping tables or washing.
Gardening - Are you a green thumb gardener? Gardening volunteers perform many tasks that beautify the grounds of Camp Discovery. In the spring, tasks include planting trees, shrubs and bedding plants, or preparing garden containers. Volunteers water flowerbeds and planters in the summer, and rake leaves and spread mulch in the winter
Animal Care - Camp Discovery is home to a small collection of feathered, furred and scaled animals that play a vital role in our programs. Volunteers will clean tanks, cages, feed and care for these special ambassadors.
Painting - Do you have patience or a steady hand? Painting projects may include inside and outside tasks from touching up trim to staining picnic tables or benches. Artistic talent? We have special projects that include painting murals, pots for plants or outdoor displays.
Special Skills - Are you a social media guru, a fan of fundraising, or perhaps you're an eagle eyed birder? We have a need for you! From time to time, Camp Discovery has helping hands assist with specialized tasks from events to lectures, or on an "as needed" basis. If you have a special talent or interest and wish to give back to help children in our community, let us know!
Community Service - From Corporate Service Days to Scouting Projects, there are many ways for you or your group to get involved and fill your community service requirements. Learn more here!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get started? To sign up to volunteer, email info@campdiscoverysc,org with your inquiry or call the Camp office at 803-754-2008.
- Do I have to attend a training session prior to volunteering? All volunteers are required to go through a volunteer orientation. The orientation is scheduled upon confirming receipt of your application and lasts approximately one hour. If you are part of a large group, a single member may attend and then relay the information back to your team.What should I wear? Volunteers must wear closed-toed shoes. Sneakers or hiking boots are best, please no high heeled shoes. Jeans or shorts and sweatshirt or T-Shirts are best. Please dress for the weather.
- How old do I have to be to volunteer? The general limit is that volunteers must be is 16 years old to volunteer on a regular basis. Volunteers ages 12-15 will be considered for community service opportunities on a case by case basis and may required the particpation of an adult.
- Do I need to bring anything to my volunteer session? Please bring your positive attitude, excitement and flexibility! If working outside, a water bottle is suggested.
- Is there a place to lock up my personal belongings? Please plan to lock your personal belongings in the trunk of your car or leave them at home. Volunteers may not listen to MP3 players or talk on cell phones while volunteering due to safety reasons.
To learn more about volunteering at Camp Discovery, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 803-754-2008.